Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I'd be lost without my diaper bag! What baby essentials to pack in your diaper bag.

I don't know what I would do without my diaper bag. I have been using the same one since Alexander was born. He is 3 years old now. Needless to say it is falling apart. I actually let my husband pick it out so he wouldn't be embarrassed carrying it around (you know how us women make our husbands hold our purses) and since he had let me choose everything else for Alexander. He choose a backpack style diaper bag. At first I didn't like it but now I can't live without it.

Recently I decided it was time to replace it because like I said it is falling apart. Even though Alexander is 3 now I still carry quite a bit of stuff around in my bag. I like to be prepared. You must be thinking, what could you possibly need for a 3 year old?

Let's start with what you need to carry in your diaper bag for babies and work our way up to toddlers.

Diaper bag essentials for infants and babies:

5 - 10 diapers (depending on how long you will be out)
Travel pack of wipes
Changing pad


2 changes of clothing
Hat and/or jacket (depending on the climate you live in)
Blanket
Burp cloths - at least 2
Bibs - at least 2
A bag for soiled clothing and diapers


Formula (cans or pre-measured - most baby stores have travel containers with 3 compartments and a flip-top lid for easy dispensing)
An ice pack or an insulated bottle bag for unused formula or expelled breast milk


Jarred food and spoons
Bottles or sippy cup
Healthy snacks for baby and you
Bottled water for you and to mix formula
Pacifiers
Teething rings
Toys and books
A first-aid kit with diaper rash ointment, teething gel, band-aids, antibacterial ointment, sunblock, pain and fever reducer
A small purse with cash, change, credit cards


A camera so you don't miss any cute moments

As your child grows you won't need as much supplies but you will still need to make sure you have the essentials.

Diaper bag essentials for a toddler:

3-4 diapers (if your child is not toilet trained or in the process)
2 changes of clothing including underwear (if your child is toilet trained)
Travel pack of wipes
Hat and/or jacket (depending on the climate you live in)
Healthy snacks for you and your child
Juice and water
Sippy Cup
Toys and books (I like to pack a "mystery bag" filled with little toys to keep my child occupied at the grocery store, post office, etc. I only use it for this purpose and change the items periodically so he doesn't get bored)
A first-aid kit with band-aids, antibacterial ointment, sunblock, pain and fever reducer
A small purse with cash, change, credit cards
A camera so you don't miss any cute moments

As you can see, you still need to carry quite a bit of supplies even for a toddler. So make sure when shopping for a diaper bag to choose one that will stand the test of time. These days there are so many stylish diaper bags and accessories to choose from it is hard to make a choice. Oh well, I guess I'll have to buy more than one!

No comments: