What is a layette exactly? A layette is defined as a complete kit of clothing and equipment for a newborn baby. This baby layette checklist includes the essential baby needs to get you and baby through those first few precious weeks of life.
- Disposable diapers or Cloth diapers - 10-12 per day. If you are using cloth diapers you should purchase at least 2 to 3 dozen depending on how often you want to do laundry.
- 6-8 Diaper covers (for cloth diapers)
- 6-8 Sleepers and/or gowns
- 8 Onesies
- 2-3 Shirt and pants sets
- 6-8 Pairs of socks
- 2 Caps
- If you live in a cold weather climate - 1 sweater, 1 coat/snowsuit
- 4-6 Receiving blankets (for swaddling)
- 2 Sleep sacks (safer for baby to sleep)
- 3-4 Crib or bassinet sheets
- 2 Hooded bath towels
- 6-8 Wash cloths - if you are using wash cloths instead of disposable wipes for diaper changes then you will need at least 2 dozen wash cloths.
- 1 large box of disposable wipes
- 2 changing pads (waterproof)
- Natural shampoo and body wash
- Natural baby lotion
- Diaper rash ointment
- 6-12 Bottles, depending on whether you are breast or bottle feeding
- 10-12 Burp cloths
- Formula (if bottle feeding)- start with 1 weeks supply
- Bottled drinking water or sterilized, boiled water (to mix formula)
- infant nail clippers
- Petroleum jelly
- Alcohol swabs (to clean baby's belly button)
Nursery Equipment & Baby Gear:
- Crib or bassinet
- Diaper bag
- Car seat
There are tons of adorable baby products for everything you can possibly think of, but these basic baby supplies will be all you need to get you through your first weeks without a worry.